Frederick Thomas Laurence

Son of:  John Charles Dundas

and:  Margaret Matilda Talbot

born on:  o 1857

died on:  † Wednesday 16 June 1858. Buried at Easby.


Hon. George Heneage Laurence

Son of:  Laurence Dundas

and: Lillian Lumley

born on:  o Saturday 1 July 1882
 Educated at Harrow

died on:



Captain Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

             Ivy Hanley


George Heneage Laurence 


George Heneage Laurence Dundas.
Collection of the Marquess of Zetland, Aske, Richmond.
By kind permission of the Marquess of Zetland.

Son of:  Thomas Dundas
and:  Charlotte Fitzwillia
born on:  o Tuesday 8 September 1778
died on:  † Tuesday 7 October 1834. Buried at Marske, Cleveland
Occupations:   Rear Admiral Royal Navy

 Lord of the Admiralty

 M.P. Richmond 1802, 1806 and 1812, Orkney and Shetland 1818-20 and 1826-30

In February 1800 George Heneage Dundas was aboard HMS Queen Charlotte which was the flagship of Lord Keith . Dundas was junior to Cochrane. Upon Cochrane's promotion to Commander of the Speedy,  George Heneage Dundas moved up to 5th Lieutenant of the Queen Charlotte.  A month later, the Queen Charlotte was accidentally destroyed by fire.  Dundas distinguished himself during this disaster, earning a mention in the Naval Chronicle:

"Mr. John Braid, Carpenter of the Queen Charlotte, reports, that about twenty minutes after six o'clock in the morning, as he was dressing himself, he heard throughout the Ship a general cry of "Fire" - On which he immediately run up the fore ladder to get upon deck, and found the whole half deck, the front bulk-head of the Admiral's cabin, the main-mast's coat, and boat's covering on the booms, all in flames; which from every report and probability, he apprehends was occasioned by some hay, which was lying under the half deck, having been set on fire by a match in a tub, which was usually kept there for signal guns. - The main sail at this time was set, and almost entirely caught fire; the people not being able to come to the clue garnets on account of the flames.
He immediately went to the forecastle, and found Lieutenant Dundas and the Boatswain encouraging the people to get water to extinguish the fire. He applied to Mr. Dundas, seeing no other Officer in the fore-part of the Ship (and being unable to see any on the quarter deck, from the flames and smoke between them) to give him assistance to drown the lower decks, and secure the hatches, to prevent the fire falling down.  Lieutenant Dundas accordingly went down himself, with as many people as he could prevail upon
to follow him; and the lower deck ports were opened, the scuppers plugged, the main and fore hatches secured, the cocks turned, and water drawn in at the ports, and the pumps kept going by the people who came down, as long as they could stand at them.
He thinks that by these exertions the lower deck was kept free from fire, and the two magazines preserved for a long time from danger; nor did Lieutenant Dundas, or he, quit this station, but remained there with all
the people who could be prevailed upon to stay, till several of the middle-deck guns came through that deck.
About nine o'clock, Lieutenant Dundas and he, finding it impossible to remain any longer below, went out at the foremost lower-deck port, and got upon the forecastle; on which he apprehends there were  then about one hundred and fifty of the people drawing water, and throwing it as far aft as possible upon the fire."

The Queen Charlotte eventually blew up with the loss of more than 600 people, including the Captain and her first Lieutenant.  Dundas survived, and was promoted to Commander the following December .

In July 1801, Admiral Linois's squadron sailed into Algeciras, with the recently captured Cochrane aboard as prisoner.  Commander Dundas of the Calpe immediately sailed from Gibraltar to warn Admiral Saumarez off Cadiz. Rear-Admiral Sir James Saumarez reported as follows;
"The Hon. Captain Dundas, of his Majesty's polacre the Calpe, made his vessel as useful as possible, and kept up a spirited fire on one of the enemy's batteries." Dundas also sent one his sloop's boats in the unsuccessful attempt to rescue the grounded Hannibal.  The little Calpe participated in the chase
of the French-Spanish squadron several days later and assisted in the capture of the French St. Antoine.
"My thanks are also due to Captain Holles, of the Thames, and to the Hon. Captain Dundas, of the Calpe, whose assistance was particularly useful to Captain Keats in securing the enemy's ship..."
News of this battle reached the Admiralty at just about the same time as Cochrane's report, delayed by Manley Dixon at Port Mahon, of the capture of the El Gamo by the Speedy.  Both Dundas and Cochrane were promoted to Post Captain in August, 1801.


George James Laurence

Son of:  John Charles Dundas

and:  Margaret Matilda Talbot

born on:  o July 1849

died on:  † Tuesday 29 June 1858. Buried at Easby.


Harriot Emily

Daughter of:  John Charles Dundas

and:  Margaret Matilda Talbot

born on:

died on:  11/12/1939

  1. Colonel Charles Thomas Bunbury 7/4/1875

  2. the following children were born of this union:
  Charles Hamilton St Pierre Bunbury, born 1877
  Wilfred Joseph Bunbury, born 21/2/1882
  Bertram John Bunbury, born 1887
  Evelyn James Bunbury, born 1888
  Mary Beatrice Theresa Bunbury, born 1879
  Cecilia Mary Bunbury, born 1892


Harriott Frances

Daughter of:  Laurence Dundas

and:  Harriet Hale

born on:  o 1801

died on:  † Sunday 13 October 1878

Occupations :

  1. Henry Lane x Thursday 8 December 1825 



Lady Henrietta Kate

Daughter of:  Lawrence Mark Dundas
and:  Susan Rose Chamberlin

born on:  o 9/2/1970
Occupations :

                              1.  Mark Stroyan, the son of Judge Ronald Angus Ropner Sroyan, QC and Jill Annette Stroyan    x  12th December 1994

                                   the following children were born of this union;
                              1. Clementine Isabel Stroyan  o 10/2/1997
                              2. Archie Angus Stroyan o 6/5/1999


Lady Hilda Mary


Daughter of:  Laurence Dundas

and:  Lillian Lumley

born on:  o Sunday 24 November 1872

died on:  19/5/1957

  1. 4th Baron Southampton; Charles Henry Fitzroy   x 9/7/1892 in Dublin

  2. the following children were born of this union:
    1) A daughter who died 1893
    2) Dorothy Fitzroy, o 26/3/1895 died   27/11/1957 married
        6/7/1916 John McKerrell-Brown
    3) Victoria Alexandrina Fitzroy, o 25/6/1898 married 21/1/1925 William
        Vandeleur Beatty (div 1941)
    4) Charles Fitzroy, 5th Lord Southampton o 3/1/1904. Married 1st
        22/6/1927, Margaret Drake (d 3/2/1931 ), married 2ndly, 12/1/1940,
        Phyllis Joan Leslie (div 1944) , married 3rdly, 3/2/1951. Rachel Christine
        Zaman (d 1985). Charles Fitzroy died 1989 , having disclaimed the title in 1964
    5) Ismay Hilda Margaret Fitzroy


Hugh Spencer Lisle, Sir

Group Captain Sir Hugh Dundas

Hugh Dundas
Son of:  Frederick James Dundas
and:  Sylvia Mary Phillips
born on:  22/7/1920 in Doncaster, Yorks.  Educated at Stowe
died on:   10th July 1995
Occupations:  Group Captain R.A.F.  Battle of Britain Pilot. 
   Chairman Rediffusion Television 1978-1985
   Chairman Thames Television 1981-1987
   Chairman of the Prince's Business Trust
   Author of the book "Flying Start"
 Hugh Spencer Lisle Dundas was educated at Stowe school and afterwards was a trainee solicitor. He joined 616 squadron in May 1939 and was  awarded his wings in October 1939. On the 22nd of October 1940, Dundas was shot down by Bf 109s over Dover. He baled out and was admitted to Kent and Canterbury hospital with arm and leg wounds. On January 5th 1941 Dundas damaged a DO 17, on May 17th he destroyed a Bf 109, on the 25th damaged another, on July 10th destroyed a Bf 109, shared a Bf 109 on the 19th, shared one and damaged another on the 21st and destroyed one on the 23rd. He was awarded the DFC and in September went to 610 squadron at Leconfield.

Dundas was promoted to Acting Squadron Leader in December 1941 and given command of 56 squadron. In November 1942 he was posted to Duxford to form the first Typhoon Fighter-Bomber Wing.

In January 1944, Dundas went on the personal staff of AVM H Broadhurst in the Advanced HQ Desert Air Force in Italy. He was awarded the DSO. In June he was made Wing Leader 244 Wing and in October was promoted to Group Captain and given command of the Wing. He was awarded a bar to the DSO in March 1945.

Dundas retired from the RAF in January 1947 as a Wing Commander, retaining the rank of Group Captain. He became Air Correspondent for the Daily Express. He joined 601 squadron (RAuxAF) in 1946 and commanded the squadron from 1948 to 1950.

Dundas was made a CBE (1977), knighted in 1987 and became High Sheriff of Surrey in 1989.                                                                                                    

  1. Enid Rosamond Lawrence (daughter of 1st Baron Oaksey) x 1950 

  2. the following children were born of this union:
    1. James Frederick Trevor Dundas o November 1950 
    2. Sarah Jane Dundas o 1953 
    3. Amanda Rose Dundas o 1956



Daughter of:  Thomas Dundas

and:  Charlotte Fitzwilliam

born on:  o Thursday 25 February 1790

died on:  † Tuesday 6 December 1887

  1. John Charles Ramsden x Wednesday 4 May 1814 

  2. the following child was born of this union:

John William Ramsden

Return to Zetland home page